Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Project Proposal


For my midterm I really would love to work with bokeh photography. For those who do not know what bokeh is, it is blurred and out of focus light (Example above). I want to use different types of colored lighting to get a gorgeous effect for a nice color scheme. I have never worked with bokeh before, but it always interested me. So this might be difficult to achieve because my lack of knowledge, but I am willing to research. My fears are that the film may not come out well since my lack of knowledge on bokeh, but this project seems simple and gives me a lot of opportunity to learn.


I haven’t pin pointed exactly what compositional strategies I want to work with. One thing I do know is when working with bokeh that the light is blurred, the depth of field will be shallow. If the light was in focus I would just a photograph and a light source, but instead the light creates a shape. I want to be decently close to my light sources so I can get a good amount of detail in the light. The further I zoom into the light it does not show up as well. But it also depends on my aperture because aperture creates the shallow depth. I want to also experiment with shape of the light. I want to use hearts, stars, and other effects to create a mood.


For quality of light I hope to have direct light with shadows. I plan to shoot all of my photos at night for the light to be stronger and brighter. I want to work with christmas lights, stop lights, any type of colored lights.


For color strategy, my favorite color schemes I have worked with so far have been complementary colors and allied colors. Depending how many light sources I have to create the bokeh effect, I want to experiment more with allied colors. I also want to expand with our assignment on complementary colors. I think using complementary colors would be more interesting because I can go through the whole color wheel and use every complement on the wheel.






2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to do something like this. definitely try out different shapes. I have also seen some crescent moon ones that look pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. take a look at uta barth! sounds really fun, can't wait to see it! also, i wonder if you throw focus off with the camera or enlarger which is better? this may be something to experiment with...

    ReplyDelete