Sunday, March 4, 2012

        At the risk of sounding too pretentious or farfetched, please bear with me. I would like to take a series of 5 to 10 photos. All of the photos being either planned scenes, portraits, or landscapes that all are seemingly arbitrarily captioned to either (I can't decide just yet) classic, immediately recognizable, or entirely random and unrecognizable quotes to movies. The idea is to correlate a caption that at first glance has nothing to do with the assigned photo, and create something totally new and different from what either the photo or caption would singlehandedly convey. It is an exercise in free association, and an exercise in creating something new from a previously contextualized notion that a color, nor the captioned quote alone can create.

       While I have some ideas kicking around in my head, I don't want to limit myself to just those that I have at the moment. The last thing I want to do is create a series of irrelevant photos with even more ridiculously off-topic captions from movies that have nothing to with the color or subjet of the photo. The main idea is to make something that neither color or subject matter makes individually, and make a third product that suggests something entirely new.
     
        As far as color theory is concerned, I have a number of examples in my head. Ideally, I would like it to be as spontaneous as possible. The intention is to make something whimsical and dreamy out of something that is entirely tangible and realistic to the viewer, that would be other wise be an in-conceived notion of obviousness and unoriginality.  From what I do have kicking around in my head now, I can anticipate that the color used with the "appropriate" caption will create something more interesting than either of the two could alone speak of. 

1 comment:

  1. interesting, would love to hear of some specific examples...how will the images without the captions look/feel in terms of color?

    ReplyDelete