Sunday, February 19, 2012

Color Picture Assignment

This photo by Thorsten Brinkmann automatically caught my attention because of the subject matter.  I paid attention to that first and was immediately reminded of an oil on canvas painting by Rene Magritte entitled "The Lovers".  Then I looked at the color in the photo and realized that this whole picture in itself is somewhat of a contradictory.  It makes me feel two separate things and really confuses me to a certain extent, but in a good way.  The colors of her blouse are very pastel and have an Easter sort of feel to it.  The paper that is covering her head is an eggshell white color, that isn't as pure as stark white, which makes it look a bit dirty.  At first glance, I get an eerie feeling by looking at this because the woman in the picture is basically faceless.  You don't know her expression or what she's feeling, or even how she got there.  Though the feel of it is unusual and slightly uncomfortable, the purple/blue color of her shirt makes me wonder if it is supposed to be happy or not. 

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting photo. I don't know how I quite feel about it. The expressionless person, and whatever is covering he/she's face also gives me an eerie feeling. If I saw this scene emerging from the darkness like in this photo, I'd punch the face...or lack of face...

    The black background brings focus to the figure, and seems to make the dull pastel colors slightly more vibrant.

    Overall, I don't know what to feel about this photo, but it is creepy. And it definitely caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this photo...i think the soft side lighting is elegantly presenting something very macabre an unnerving...the normally happy easter colors that are also sort of precious are 'drained' and rendered DeAD ! well done photographer!

    ReplyDelete