Sunday, February 19, 2012
Color Portrait
This portrait by RamonaG uses color in a simple and powerful way. The cool light washes out the warm pigment color in the subject's hair, skin, and clothing while clinging to the dark areas of the image including the subject's eyes. The thing that first struck me about this image was the way in which the color really ages the subject. Though it is clear that the subject is a young girl, a combination of a color cast across her skin and shadows to deepen her eyes gives the impression that she is both older and wiser than she most likely is in reality. The other thing that drew me to this image is the way that my eyes are drawn to the shadow areas of the image as opposed to being drawn to the highlights. I am not sure why this is happening but I find it interesting. Overall I feel that this is a successful image and portrait which strongly benefits from the skillful use of color.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is a beautiful portrait. I like the dark background, and how it brings focus to the color in the photograph. The photo is almost monotone, the colors aren't highly saturated and the lack of colors, or dullness, adds to the feeling of the subject. The child looks laid back and relaxed and somewhat dreamy.
ReplyDeleteThe black surrounding the subject also gives the dull colors a bit more life.
I really enjoy the blend of soft and cool colors. This portrait really shows color expression because the cool colors represent the little girls emotion. She seems sad and innocent and the use of color plays and explores with that. The dark shadows really helps to emphasize the girls innocent personality. Also the warm colors in her skin and shirt coordinate to each other to help balance out the photographs tension.
ReplyDeleteyes desaturated color can be so effective, it's a monotone...we are MoVED!!!
ReplyDelete